KEN NAKAHASHI is pleased to present Soft Mirrors, a group exhibition, to be hold from January 11 until February 2, 2019.
Artists: Eiki Mori, Erik Swars, Jörgen Axelvall, Mariko Matsushita, Mihoko Ogaki, Ren Hang, Shinji Ihara, Yasushi Ebihara
Born in 1976, Ishikawa Japan. Graduated from The Photography Dept., Parsons The New School for Design in 2011. He won the 39th Kimura Ihei Award in 2014 for intimacy. Currently lives in Tokyo.
Eiki Mori is a Tokyo-based artist, known for his photography exploring themes about ‘same-sex marriage,’ diversifying ‘family forms,’ and ‘gender identities,’ through putting himself in a fictitious situation amongst his lover and friends in front of the camera. The concentration on this theme implies retrieving and connecting those who live together, a microcosmos of the social community in diversified forms and sexualities. For his practice, he uses multiple medias such as photography, videos, performance, and text.
In the series intimacy, Eiki Mori photograph his partner for over an year since they have met, resulting in a dialectic photo book of 264 pages. In 2013, he received the most prestigious Kimura Ihei Award for this series.
Family Regained is an observation of the family, a sociological performance that sublimes the visual art medium, and an aesthetical or political aim to spread a visualized and acknowledgeable image. This series relies on self shot portraits taken over 3 years, picturing himself with friends and their families at their places and yards using a self-timer, and performance videos as an exploration of insight into today’s idea of ‘a family,’ documenting a fictional family’s memories composed of a man, a boy, and Mori himself, strolling around the city of Tokyo. Filtered through the fundamental color of blood, a red scenery arises apart from its surrounding society, as if it is an act from a theatre.
- Family Regained, Nanarokusha Publishing, Japan, 2017
- Intimacy, Nanarokusha, Japan, 2013
- tokyo boy alone, Revolution Star Publishing and Creation, Taiwan, 2011
- CROWS AND PEARLS, Edition Nord. Japan, 2009
- Festival/Tokyo Focus Talk Eiki Mori x Yoshikazu Yamagata『A Poet: We See a Rainbow』
- Tokyo Rainbow Pride Official Homepage
- IMA ONLINE NEWS
- i-D Japan News
- NADiff | Eiki Mori "Family Regained: The Splash - We brush our teeth, take a shower, put on pajamas and go out into the street-"
- F/T 17 "Family Regained: Picnic"
- IMA ONLINE
- 城市美學新態度 | 日本新銳攝影師Eiki Mori 森榮喜
- 城市美學看展趣 | 夢想未來的家庭：森榮喜 Eiki Mori 的 Family Regained《復家庭》
- i-D Japan Vice | Interview with Eiki Mori
- IMA ONLINE | Talk Eiki Mori x Toshimitsu Kokido
- Dokujyojin | Eiki Mori x Yurie Nagashima Talk Event
- TIME OUT Tokyo
- Interview ODALISQUE Magazine
Erik Swars studied in the department for picture, room, object with focus on painting at Kunsthochschule Burg Giebichenstein Halle, Germany. Where he was working with Jochen Plogsties for his master's degree in 2016. He studied painting at Tokyo National University of the Arts with O JUN in 2014 and came back one year later in program of the JASSO scholarship. Swars is working in Leipzig, at the Baumwollspinnerei since 2015. Represented in several collections like Steffen Hildebrand.
Born 1972 in Sweden. Lives in Tokyo.
Before moving to Tokyo he lived in New York City for 15 years.
He won the international winner of New Exposure Award presented by US Vogue and Bottega Veneta in 2013.
- "Instant Moments" super sonic, 2014
- "I was looking for Park Hyatt Tokyo" Park Hyatt Tokyo / amana, 2014
- "OIDE" hand made, limited edition of three, Self published / FORT, 2015
- "Go To Become" roshin books, 2017
Born 1980, in Osaka.
B.F.A in oil painting from Kyoto City University of the Arts in 2004. Lives in Tokyo.
Matsushita received Grand Prize for the "2nd CAFAA" Award in 2016, organized by the Contemporary Art Foundation.
- July - September, 2017: Delfina Foundation, London
- "MARIKO" published by matchbaco, 2015
- "until the hug" self-published, 2018
- pays des fees, 2017
- Acha Tyumu, 2017
Born 1973 in Toyama prefecture. Graduated Aichi Prefectural University of the Arts with a major in oil painting in 1995. Graduated from the German National Kunstakademie Düsseldorf in 2004. In 2010, she moved to Tokyo. Has shown internationally, including Düsseldorf, New York, Kyoto, and Tokyo. In 2003, she received the audience award at the 57th Bergische Kunstausstellung at Museum Baden in Nordrhein Westfalen. Her works are owned by many individual collectors worldwide.
Following this exhibition, she is scheduled to have solo shows in Germany and Spain during 2018. Her works have been acquired by many individual collectors in Japan and abroad.
Ogaki works on themes of “life” and “death” through sculptures, installations, and drawings, expressing death and age with dynamic and imposing techniques. The Milky Way series is created so that light shines through numerous holes drilled on the surface of a human sculpture. Dismantling a Mercedes-Benz and decorating its parts with countless beads, before the beginning - after the end is displayed in a way in which the viewer lays down as a “corpse” in a palace-type hearse once used in Japan. The Star Tale series is a confirmation of the reality of feeling alive, along with Memento mori - the reflection of mortality.
- "Mihoko Ogaki WHO" Published/Edited/Designed by Shuji Sugihara, 2013
Born 1987 in Changchun, Jilin Province, China, Ren Hang is widely regarded as one of China’s top young contemporary photographers, who kept taking pictures of friends in the nude at a time when “sex” continues to be taboo in China.
Not only are his colours captivatingly vivid, they are poetic and a lyrical sensation with young men and women posing as if veritably sculptured.
He has held numerous exhibitions in several world capital cities, such as Beijing, Paris, NY and Tokyo and also participated in international art fairs on numerous occasions; Paris Photo and Photo Basel. In 2010, he won the Italy third TERNA Prize for Contemporary Art.
In 2011 he self-published the photo books “REN HANG 2009-2011” and “ROOM”. Since then, he has also published a great number of notable books.
His works are already incorporated into the public collections of several museums; Multimedia Art Museum in Russia, CAFA Art Museum in China, Spencer Museum of Art, University of Kansas, US, Three Shadows Photography Art Centre in China and the White Rabbit Contemporary Chinese Art Collection in Australia.
- 2016, ATHENS LOVE 雅典的爱, Session press, USA
- 2016, 二月 FEBRUARY, Self-Published，China
- 2016, 一月 JANUARY, Self-Published, China
- 2015, 海鲜派对 Seafood Party, Self-Published, China
- 2015, 上海游客 Shanghai Visitors, Self-Published, China
- 2015, NEW LOVE 新欢, Session press, USA
- 2015, 野生, Die Nacht, Germany
- 2015, FOOD ISSUE, Same studio, China
- 2014, PHYSICAL BORDERLINE, ThreeShadows +3 Gallery, China
- 2013, THE BRIGHTEST LIGHT RUNS TOO FAST, Editions Bessard, France
- 2013, SON AND BITCH, Neurasthenia, Taiwan
- 2013, Republic, Éditions du LIC, Norway
- 2013, MY DEPRESSION, Self-Published, China
- 2012, NUDE, Self-Published, China
- 2011, ROOM, Self-Published, China
- 2011, REN HANG 2009-2011, Self-Published, China
- 2013, Poem Collection of Renhang, Neurasthenia, Taiwan
Born 1987 in Fukuoka prefecture. Ihara obtained M.F.A. in Oil Painting Materials and Techniques at Tokyo National University of the Arts in 2012. He is currently based in Hiroshima.
Ihara has had three major series of works so far. The LIFE series include portraits of himself and people in his life, the MATSURI series feature his hometown Fukuoka's feisty festival, the 'Hakata Gion Yamakasa', and the S series portrays painter Atsushi Suwa.
His works are already incorporated by the Hiroshima City University Museum and the Luciano Benetton Imago Mundi Collection.
- "RENDEZVOUS" published by matchbaco, 2015
- Born 1976 in Ibaragi prefecture.
- 2001 M.F.A. Tokyo National University of the Arts.
- "tarot" published by KEN NAKAHASHI, 2017
- "if..." published by matchbaco, 2014
- "Tarot CULKIN" Self-Published tarot cards, 2017