EXTENDED! Through to May 31 (Sat)
KEN NAKAHASHI is very pleased to announce “RAW”, a solo exhibition by Mariko Matsushita, to be held from February 2 (Fri) until March 31 (Sat), 2018.
Sexual love and the pain upon living, are repeated subjects in Matsushita’s works. Her painting harbors powerful energy, and she produces through an intimate relationship with the model and herself.
“RAW”, the exhibition title contains the ideas of her mind imagining the future and universe, as well as her soul seeking the primitive and mystic “life”.
In 2016, Matsushita won the grand prize for the 2nd CAFAA Award sponsored by the Contemporary Art Foundation, which gave her a three months’ residence program (Jul.-Sep.) at the Delfina Foundation in London.
While in residence, she researched and developed her expressive outputs besides the usual paintings, by introducing a new spectrum of media to her body of works.
This exhibition will show unreleased paintings from 2016 to the latest this year, together with achievements of her artistic practices in London, including video performance and photography created in collaboration with photographer Mikito Tateisi.
Her video performance, “Walking with Meat” (video + sound, 5min) is a metaphor of her life, walking though the streets of London holding a huge lump of flesh, and “Little Fox in London” (video + sound, 5 min) unfolds a childish-kitschy world through a playful search for foxes, in downtown London and her intimate bedroom. In addition, her nude self-portrait “RAW” shot in her room in London where she spent three month.
Photo, Video, Video Technicians: Mikito Tateisi
- "Walking with Meat"
- Title: ”RAW”
- Artist: Mariko Matsushita
- Period: February 2 (Fri) ~ March 31 (Sat), 2018
- Opening reception: February 2 (Fri), 18:00 ~ 21:00
- Preview February 1 (Thu): 18:00~21:00
- Venue: KEN NAKAHASHI (5F, No.2 Shinjuku Bldg., 3-1-32, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022 JAPAN)
- Closed: Sun / Mon
- Hours: 13:00 ~ 21:00
- Access: Shinjuku Sancho-me Station, 2 min walk
- Tel: +81 (0)3-4405-9552
- 1980 Born in Osaka
- 2004 B.F.A in oil painting from Kyoto City University of the Arts
- July - September, 2017: Delfina Foundation, London
- "MARIKO" published by matchbaco, 2015
- "until the hug" self-published, 2018
- pays des fees, 2017
- Acha Tyumu, 2017
- Column for Mariko Matsushita's solo exhibition "Silent Resistance to Oblivion" written by QUOTATION magazine
- Interview "Oriental ideals in a postmodern shell" Odalisque Magazine
- Contemporary Art Foundation The 2nd CAF Artist Award - Grand Prize
- Darkness of Crimson - Outstanding Painter from Japan: MATSUSHITA Mariko "RAW" @ KEN NAKAHASHI