KEN NAKAHASHI is very pleased to announce “MEYOU”, the third solo show by Shinji Ihara, to be held from October 19 (Fri) until November 10 (Sat), 2018.
What others do looking at and how they live? How the world can be opening up if we can see what we cannot to see?
Shinji Ihara gazes at the men’s imagery, looks at his close friends, loved ones, and self existing in the relationship with others. The feeling of loneliness from the society and the community that he felt as being minority, and the wish to connect with others, is the root of his creation.
His recent works MEYOU series attempts to bring the closer distance between self ‘ME’ and others ‘YOU’, through the random exchange of message and portrait pictures with anonymous people on SNS. He reconstructs those experiences: new discoveries, changes, shared thoughts and perspectives, into remarkable paintings.
In the society with diverse value and systems where we live, how do we connect with others, and what separates us? Ihara gently gazes at the self existence in the various cultures and the histories, in the world what ones draws and in the relationship with others.
- 1987 Born in Fukuoka
- 2010 B.F.A in Oil Painting of Hiroshima City University
- 2012 M.F.A. in Oil Painting Materials and Techniques of Tokyo National University of the Arts
- "RENDEZVOUS" published by matchbaco, 2015
- TOKYO DANDY | SHINJI IHARA "RENDEZVOUS" AT MATCHBACO GALLERY
- i-D Vice | "MEYOU" Shinji Ihara Solo Exhibition