KEN NAKAHASHI is pleased to present Looking Up, a solo exhibition by Jörgen Axelvall, to be held from May 13 (Fri) to June 12 (Sun), 2022.
An exhibition featuring selected works from Axelvall’s new visceral collection Looking Up, also set to be published as a limited edition monograph in May 2022.
All works for this series were done during, and revolves around, the Covid pandemic and Axelvall’s sub-sequential battle with cancer.
Airplanes in the skies over Tokyo depicted in otherworldly hues—compelled by a lucid dream the exhibited work is solarized, a subconscious call implying great transformative powers of the sun.
Each dramatic approach of an airplane, the repetitively but unique scenes playing out while looking up, would evoke a sense of awe with Axelvall.
A reason to keep going, relishing freedom of movement, exploration of unfamiliar countries and cultures, the urge to reconnect with friends and family far away.
We hope to see you at Axelvall’s solo exhibition, his first in three years at KEN NAKAHASHI.
Born in Sweden in 1972, currently lives in Tokyo where he moved 2011 after 15 years in New York City. In 2015, Axelvall’s first photo series shot in Tokyo over 7 years, I was looking for Park Hyatt Tokyo, was nominated as Jury Selection by the 18th Japan Media Arts Festival. Major solo exhibitions include And I reminisce (KEN NAKAHASHI, 2019), KÄR / LEK (KEN NAKAHASHI, 2018), Go To Become (Bookmarc Tokyo Gallery, 2017), and major monographs include And I reminisce (roshin books, 2021), Go To Become (roshin books, 2017).
- Title: Looking Up
- Period: May 13 (Fri)–June 12 (Sun), 2022
- Hours: Wed・Thu・Fri 11:00-19:00, Sat・Sun 11:00-17:00
- Closed: Mon・Tue
- Opening reception on Friday 13 May, 18:00-20:00 (drinks not provided)
- No prior reservation is required
- Born 1972 in Sweden. Lives in Tokyo.
- Before moving to Tokyo he lived in New York City for 15 years.
- Instant Moments, super sonic, 2014
- I was looking for Park Hyatt Tokyo, Park Hyatt Tokyo / amana, 2014
- OIDE, hand made, limited edition of three, Self published / FORT, 2015
- Go To Become, roshin books, 2017
- And I reminisce, roshin books, 2021
- Looking Up, Self-Published, 2022
- Six Questions: Jörgen Axelvall by Tique, a publication on contemporary art
- Tokyo Art Beat | Jörgen Axelvalls Interview by Paul Mclnnes
- Bijyutsutecho | And I reminisce Jörgen Axelvalls Solo Ehibition, node hotel Kyoto
- IMA ONLINE | And I reminisce Jörgen Axelvalls Solo Ehibition, node hotel Kyoto
- IMA ONLINE | And I reminisce Jörgen Axelvalls Solo Ehibition
- METROPOLIS | The Creative Issue Jörgen Axelvall
- POSTGENDAI 後現代
- CINRA.NET | Jörgen Axelvalls Kär / Lek Solo Exhibition
- Twelve Magazine | Jörgen Axelvalls Kär / Lek Solo Exhibition
- i-D Vice | KÄR / LEK Solo Exhibition by Jörgen Axelvall
- OPENERS | Book | INSTANT MOMENTS
- Japan Media Arts Festival | Jury Selections | I was looking for Park Hyatt Tokyo