KEN NAKAHASHI is pleased to announce Family Regained, a solo exhibition by Eiki Mori, to be held from September 8th (Fri) until September 30th (Sat), 2017.
This exhibition, Family Regained will be comprised with a selection of his latest works from a photo book of the same title, to be published from Nanarokusha in fall 2017.
The title is borrowed from the epic, Paradise Regained (1671) by English poet John Milton. Family as a theme, Mori shoots himself with his friends, acquainted lovers, and families at their place and yard, using the self-timer function.
Filtered through the fundamental color of blood, a red scenery arises apart from its surrounding society, as if it is an act from a theatre.
The concentration on this theme implies retrieving and connecting those who live together, a microcosmos of the social community in diversified forms and sexualities.
It is an observation of the family, a sociological performance that sublimes the visual art medium, and an aesthetical or political aim to spread a visualized and acknowledgeable image. Mori’s photography and contemporary families synchronize to form an insight into today’s idea of a family.
“Reincarnate, reencounter, re-love and live together. I explore the aspiration dreamed by many lovers, envisioning happiness and love. I go and meet the family in the future on the behalf of them”, Mori says.
Emphasized in theatrical living spaces with his friends, this new series by Mori catapult viewers to solidarity, cohesion, and the spirits of those connected.
Born in 1976, Kanazawa, Japan. Graduated from the Photography Dept., Parsons The New School for Design.
Lives in Tokyo. His work combines self-portrait, performance, photography, and video. In 2009, he released CROWS AND PEARLS, a collection of portraits of Tokyo boys in the dark, collaborated with Komichi Kobayashi, published by Edition Nord.
In 2011, his first monograph, tokyo boy alone was published by Revolution Star Publishing Taiwan, which became a breakthrough to make him one of Asia’s most distinguished emerging photographers.
In 2013, he released intimacy, photographing his partner for over an year since they have met, resulting in diaristic pictures of over 264 pages, both as a photo book and an artwork in its form. In the same year he received the most prestigious Kimura Ihei Award.
Wedding Politics, is a performance and its film recording that depicts ideals on same sex marriage. As Mori and his ex-partner don a white fabric mimicking a wedding costume, they ask people passing by to take a commemorative photograph of them.
There is a prominent political thought, and a challenge to create relationships with strangers to get involved in society, appealing within a visual medium.
Mori is also noted for shooting magazine pictures in Canada, America, and Japan from an early age.
- Title: Eiki Mori Family Regained
- Period: September 8 (Fri) - 30 (Sat), 2017
- Venue: KEN NAKAHASHI (5F, No.2 Shinjuku Bldg., 3-1-32, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022)
- Hours: 13:00 - 21:00
- Closed: Sun & Mon
- Opening Reception: September 8 (Fri), 18:00-
- Artist Talk: September 13 (Wed), 19:00-20:00
October 1 (Sun) - 29 (Sun), 2017
Title of the work: Family Regained: The Splash -We brush our teeth, take a shower, put on pajamas and go out into the street-
Performance (Cast/Direction Eiki Mori)
Festival/Tokyo 17 (F/T 17)
Period: September 30 (Sat) - November 12 (Sun)
Title of the work: Family Regained: The Picnic
November 4 - 12, at Ikebukuro West Gate Park (Outdoor Screening)
Performance (Cast/Direction Eiki Mori)
- 1976 Born in Ishikawa
- 2001 Graduated from The Photography Dept., Parsons The New School for Design
- Family Regained, Nanarokusha Publishing, Japan, 2017
- Intimacy, Nanarokusha, Japan, 2013
- tokyo boy alone, Revolution Star Publishing and Creation, Taiwan, 2011
- CROWS AND PEARLS, Edition Nord. Japan, 2009
- Festival/Tokyo Focus Talk Eiki Mori x Yoshikazu Yamagata『A Poet: We See a Rainbow』
- Tokyo Rainbow Pride Official Homepage
- IMA ONLINE NEWS
- i-D Japan News
- NADiff | Eiki Mori "Family Regained: The Splash - We brush our teeth, take a shower, put on pajamas and go out into the street-"
- F/T 17 "Family Regained: Picnic"
- IMA ONLINE
- 城市美學新態度 | 日本新銳攝影師Eiki Mori 森榮喜
- 城市美學看展趣 | 夢想未來的家庭：森榮喜 Eiki Mori 的 Family Regained《復家庭》
- i-D Japan Vice | Interview with Eiki Mori
- IMA ONLINE | Talk Eiki Mori x Toshimitsu Kokido
- Dokujyojin | Eiki Mori x Yurie Nagashima Talk Event
- TIME OUT Tokyo
- Interview ODALISQUE Magazine