matchbaco is very pleased to present “TOKYO”, the second solo exhibition by Ren Hang, to be held from September 1 (Thu) until 24 (Sat), 2016.
This exhibition “TOKYO” comprises nude men and women atop apartment roofs … or in gardens … as well as portraits of close friends in intimate daily surroundings … street shots from places and well-trodden streets which he himself has explored when visiting Tokyo in the summer of 2015 for his first Japanese solo show “NEW LOVE” (published by Session Press NY).
One senses a surging energy, tranquility and redeeming relief as if confronted by the break of dawn … a fresh, breathtakingly raw and bare beauty all-consumed by his unique dynamic colourations. Woundrously rejoicing, he encounters and shares his experience with friends he has made during his first time visit to Tokyo.
Ren Hang’s unique world and ever-changing Tokyo air conjoin … breathing life into new-found souls which transfix viewers and catapult one to Ren Hang’s next stage.
Born 1987 in Changchun, Jilin Province, China, Ren Hang is now based in Beijing and widely regarded as one of China’s top young contemporary photographers, mostly taking pictures of friends in the nude at a time when “sex”continues to be taboo in China.
Not only are his colours captivatingly vivid, they are poetic and a lyrical sensation with young men and women posing as if veritably sculptured.
He has held numerous exhibitions in several world capital cities, such as Beijing, Paris, NY and Tokyo and also participated in international art fairs on numerous occasions; Paris Photo and Photo Basel. In 2010, he won the Italy third TERNA Prize for Contemporary Art.
In 2011 he self-published the photo books “REN HANG 2009-2011” and “ROOM”. Since then, he has also published a great number of notable books.
His works are already incorporated into the public collections of several museums; Multimedia Art Museum in Russia, CAFA Art Museum in China, Spencer Museum of Art, University of Kansas, US, Three Shadows Photography Art Centre in China and the White Rabbit Contemporary Chinese Art Collection in Australia.
- 2016, ATHENS LOVE 雅典的爱, Session press, USA
- 2016, 二月 FEBRUARY, Self-Published，China
- 2016, 一月 JANUARY, Self-Published, China
- 2015, 海鲜派对 Seafood Party, Self-Published, China
- 2015, 上海游客 Shanghai Visitors, Self-Published, China
- 2015, NEW LOVE 新欢, Session press, USA
- 2015, 野生, Die Nacht, Germany
- 2015, FOOD ISSUE, Same studio, China
- 2014, PHYSICAL BORDERLINE, ThreeShadows +3 Gallery, China
- 2013, THE BRIGHTEST LIGHT RUNS TOO FAST, Editions Bessard, France
- 2013, SON AND BITCH, Neurasthenia, Taiwan
- 2013, Republic, Éditions du LIC, Norway
- 2013, MY DEPRESSION, Self-Published, China
- 2012, NUDE, Self-Published, China
- 2011, ROOM, Self-Published, China
- 2011, REN HANG 2009-2011, Self-Published, China
- 2013, Poem Collection of Renhang, Neurasthenia, Taiwan