KEN NAKAHASHI is pleased to announce “Silent Resistance to Oblivion,” a solo exhibition by Mariko Matsushita, to be held from August 24 (Fri) until September 21 (Fri), 2018.
Matsushita’s solo show has been held three times at KEN NAKAHASHI, focusing on her painting works. This exhibition closes upon her drawing practice, showing selected pastel and pen drawings which she makes through everyday life.
At a cafe, in the train, I draw small pictures as I feel like diving into the bottom of my consciousness.
This immersion is, so to speak, a small resistance not to forget the questions: Why am I, me? Why are you, you?
My scar keeps me from forgetting myself, though regarding the distortion of society which caused the wound, I must continue to resist.
Otherwise, I (we) will be well paralyzed, lose myself again and again, and be forced a second death, a third death…
As though I slice my time into even the smallest drawings, I wish to burn and flicker, the bits of life to directly accompany someone.
- Mariko Matsushita
Matsushita’s new artist book comprising her painting, drawing, and poetry will also be published. (limited edition of 100 with signature by artist. Available from August 28.)
- Mariko Matsushita: Silent Resistance to Oblivion
- August 24 (Fri) ~ September 21 (Fri), 2018
- Opening Reception: August 24 (Fri) 18:00~
- Hours: 11:00 ~ 21:00
- Closed: Sun & Mon
- 1980 Born in Osaka
- 2004 B.F.A in oil painting from Kyoto City University of the Arts
- July - September, 2017: Delfina Foundation, London
- MARIKO (published by matchbaco, 2015)
- until the hug (self-published, 2018)
- KEN NAKAHASHI No.2—Mariko Matsushita Anökumene: Land exiled as uninhabitable（published by KEN NAKAHASHI, 2020）
- pays des fees, 2017
- Acha Tyumu, 2017
- Interview "Oriental ideals in a postmodern shell" Odalisque Magazine
- Contemporary Art Foundation The 2nd CAF Artist Award - Grand Prize