KEN NAKAHASHI is pleased to announce “Star Tale”, a group exhibition featuring 10 gallery artists, to be held from January 13 (Fri) until February 4th (Sat), 2017.
Yukimasa Ida, Shinji Ihara, Yasushi Ebihara, Erik Swars, Mihoko Ogaki, Sabrina Horak, Cendrillon Belanger, Kuta Takashima, Mariko Matsushita, Ren Hang
Born 1972 in Montreal and moved to Paris in 1990. She studied sculpture and multimedia at L’Ecole des Beaux Arts de Paris with Tony Brown and Jean-Luc Vilmouth.
For almost twenty years, Bélanger has worked on performing the self-portrait. She has participated in numerous exhibitions in Europe, Asia and North America. In Japan, her works have been exhibited in “Yokohama France Vidéo Collection 2010: Regard Étrange Étranger” at Yokohama Akarenga / Red Brick House, and in the group show ‘We don’t have to take our clothes off’’, at Geikou Shinjuku in 2014, and her first solo exhibition in Japan “Blonde Venus” has held at KEN NAKAHASHI in July 2017. She lives and works in Paris.
- "Photomaton - 20 years of Photomaton's series" SOME/THINGS S/TUDIO, 2014
- 1988 Born in Germany
- 2005-06 Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig (HGB) (Jochen Plogsties)
- 2010-11 Academy of Leipzig School of Desgin (Christian Weihrauch)
- 2011-16 Burg Giebichenstein Kunsthochschule Halle (Christine Triebsch)
- 2013-14 Tokyo National University of the Arts (O JUN)
- 2015 JASSO scholarship, Tokyo National University of the Arts (O JUN)
- 2016 Diploma (Jochen Plogsties, Peter Möller)
Born 1988 in Yamanashi prefecture. Lives and works in Tokyo.
2011 B.F.A. in Art Management at University of Yamanashi.
Takashima received an Honorable Mention Award in Canon New Cosmos of Photography in 2012, and in 2016 at the same award he got an Excellence Award (Selected by Hiraki Sawa).
Kiyosato Museum of Photographic Arts has selected Takashima’s works as part of its “Young Portfolio” in 2014 and in 2016.
- "Zawatsuki" published by matchbaco, 2014
- Interview with Kuta Takashima | ODALISQUE magazine
- Kiyosato Museum of Photographic Art | Young Portfolio Acquisitions 2016
- New Cosmos of Photography | Kuta Takashima 2016 Gallery
- 1980 Born in Osaka
- 2004 B.F.A in oil painting from Kyoto City University of the Arts
- July - September, 2017: Delfina Foundation, London
- "MARIKO" published by matchbaco, 2015
- "until the hug" self-published, 2018
- pays des fees, 2017
- Acha Tyumu, 2017
- Column for Mariko Matsushita's solo exhibition "Silent Resistance to Oblivion" written by QUOTATION magazine
- Interview "Oriental ideals in a postmodern shell" Odalisque Magazine
- Contemporary Art Foundation The 2nd CAF Artist Award - Grand Prize
- 1973 Born in Toyama
- 1995 Graduated Aichi Prefectural University of the Arts with a major in oil painting
- 2003 Master degree at the German National Kunstakademie Düsseldorf from Prof. Klaus Rinke
- 2004 Final Diploma at the German National Kunstakademie Düsseldorf
- 2010 Moved to Japan
- "Mihoko Ogaki WHO" Published/Edited/Designed by Shuji Sugihara, 2013
Born 1987 in Changchun, Jilin Province, China, and died in February in 2017 at the age of 29. Ren Hang is widely regarded as one of China’s top young contemporary photographers, who kept taking pictures of friends in the nude at a time when “sex” continues to be taboo in China.
Not only are his colours captivatingly vivid, they are poetic and a lyrical sensation with young men and women posing as if veritably sculptured.
He has held numerous exhibitions in several world capital cities, such as Beijing, Paris, NY and Tokyo and also participated in international art fairs on numerous occasions; Paris Photo and Photo Basel. In 2010, he won the Italy third TERNA Prize for Contemporary Art.
In 2011 he self-published the photo books “REN HANG 2009-2011” and “ROOM”. Since then, he has also published a great number of notable books.
His works are already incorporated into the public collections of several museums; Multimedia Art Museum in Russia, CAFA Art Museum in China, Spencer Museum of Art, University of Kansas, US, Three Shadows Photography Art Centre in China and the White Rabbit Contemporary Chinese Art Collection in Australia.
- 2016, ATHENS LOVE 雅典的爱, Session press, USA
- 2016, 二月 FEBRUARY, Self-Published，China
- 2016, 一月 JANUARY, Self-Published, China
- 2015, 海鲜派对 Seafood Party, Self-Published, China
- 2015, 上海游客 Shanghai Visitors, Self-Published, China
- 2015, NEW LOVE 新欢, Session press, USA
- 2015, 野生, Die Nacht, Germany
- 2015, FOOD ISSUE, Same studio, China
- 2014, PHYSICAL BORDERLINE, ThreeShadows +3 Gallery, China
- 2013, THE BRIGHTEST LIGHT RUNS TOO FAST, Editions Bessard, France
- 2013, SON AND BITCH, Neurasthenia, Taiwan
- 2013, Republic, Éditions du LIC, Norway
- 2013, MY DEPRESSION, Self-Published, China
- 2012, NUDE, Self-Published, China
- 2011, ROOM, Self-Published, China
- 2011, REN HANG 2009-2011, Self-Published, China
- 2013, Poem Collection of Renhang, Neurasthenia, Taiwan
Sabrina Horak, who grew up in between the cultures of Japan and Austria, creates mandala-like partially three dimensional compositions, through which she explores the relationship between the man-made “utopia” that arise from urban life, and the people who live within these artificial constructs.
Separated human limbs are reconstructed into an unfamiliar form, in which Horak carefully cuts out from wood. In addition, She applies luminescent colours that make the overall form look as if it is a floating organ.
Born 1983 in Austria. Lives and works in Tokyo.
2007 MFA Painting class w/ Hubert Schmalix and Amelie von Wulffen, Academy of fine arts Vienna.
2014- Doctoral Course Oil Painting at Tokyo University of Arts.
- 1987 Born in Fukuoka
- 2010 B.F.A in Oil Painting of Hiroshima City University
- 2012 M.F.A. in Oil Painting Materials and Techniques of Tokyo National University of the Arts
- "RENDEZVOUS" published by matchbaco, 2015
- Born 1976 in Ibaragi prefecture.
- 2001 M.F.A. Tokyo National University of the Arts.
- "tarot" published by KEN NAKAHASHI, 2017
- "if..." published by matchbaco, 2014
- "Tarot CULKIN" Self-Published tarot cards, 2017
Born 1990 in Tottori prefecture.
Ida obtained a B.F.A. in oil painting from Tokyo National University of the Arts in 2016. In March 2016, his works were exhibited at “VOCA 2016”. In May, he received the Nawa Kohei Prize at the 3rd annual CAF Art Award organized by the Contemporary Art Foundation.
In December he held a solo exhibition “Star Child” at KEN NAKAHASHI, the first show since the gallery’s change of name and displayed the paintings he worked on in New York last Fall. Ida’s work focuses on the memories of “Ichigo-Ichie”, portraying the fleeting, chance encounter of people that surround him in the present moment, and the artist’s self-imagined backdrop. Titled The End of Today series, these works are painted in a day, while his brush is still driven by initial impulse.
Also, by depicting pigs and horses as a projection of human existence, he explores the depth of people, and converts this into an image in between abstract and concrete, reaching out to the existence of the subject itself.